[linux-elitists] That ol' familiar MUA song

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 19 04:30:59 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:12:31AM +0000, Ben Finney wrote:
>Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> writes:
>
>> I should note that there are also some CPAN modules to filter email:
>>
>> * http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-Audit/
>>
>> * http://search.cpan.org/dist/Email-Filter/
>
>Yeah, but I'm primarily interested in Sieve for it being a
>mini-language (like Procmail, but much more readable), and being
>blessed with IETF incense.

Sieve is awesome. I've used a local Cyrus imap server for about 5 years,
to work around the broken-ness of our "enterprise" Exchange server IMAP
(sigh) and the sieve filtering is something I could not walk away from.

If you haven't tried Sieve, do so.

Interestingly, we recently "upgraded" said broken Exchange server, and
it's mangling rfc822 headers, so Mutt no longer does the list reply.
Specifically it's lower-casing and breaking the wrapping on headers.

Sigh. Of course, since I work in the group that runs the mail relays I
can just direct my email straight in, but it's very wearying...