[linux-elitists] Fwd: RFC: Freecell Solver Licence "Change"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 19 02:39:48 PDT 2009

Quoting Shlomi Fish (shlomif at iglu.org.il):

> OK, thanks for the clarification.

Since I'm posting again anyway:  When I say a clear, definite PD
declaration is perfectly safe to use, I mean it seems a fair bet for
various purposes including redistribution and derivative works in, at
least, the USA.  There are suspected to be problems as noted in some
other places.  One of the unfortunate aspects of this situation is that
(I think) it's highly unlikely that questions will be answered through
caselaw, because so little's at stake to sue over.

> If you mean the:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/fair.php
> then while I have no problem in understanding the X11L, I don't really
> understand the language of "The Fair Licence" despite the fact that it
> > is much shorter. So I think I'll stick with the MIT/X11L which has
> been the standard licence for all of my new code in recent years.

{shrug}  Yes, the MIT/X11 has the advantage of being among the five or
six open source licences people know best, and it's surely a perfectly
safe and well-tested permissive licence.