[linux-elitists] That ol' familiar MUA song (was: [Meta] Is it now possible to CC other addresses on email to linux-elitists?)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 19 00:36:46 PDT 2009

"Karsten M. Self" <karsten at linuxmafia.com> writes:

> on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:08:06AM +0000, Jason White (jason at jasonjgw.net) wrote:
> > Mutt is the best MUA that I have used so far. GNUS is tempting,
> > but apparently its performance is slow with large maildir folders,
> > of which I have a tendency to accumulate many.

I'm using a combination of Gnus for NNTP (which includes both Usenet
proper, and Gmane's wealth of forums available via NNTP), and Mutt for
IMAP. I haven't tried Gnus against IMAP much to know if it's slow.

> The only thing that's tempted me is "sup", which is basically Google
> mail as an ncurses application (and no, it doesn't tie w/ Google
> mail, it's a freestandina MUA, though you could use IMAP, I
> suppose).

Available in Debian as ‘sup-mail’. Thanks for the pointer; I'd heard
about this some time ago but let it slip off my radar.

It looks good so far. I don't yet know if I can customise it to render
messages the way I expect (e.g. I insist on ISO-8601 date+time formats
and Unicode support as non-negotiable these days) or behave the way I
want (e.g. it should recognise regular expressions for my
specification of my email addresses and source folders), but it's
promising.

> On which: I've been using Gmail for work for the past few months. It
> sucks less than a lot of other mail clients, but mutt still sucks
> less. Getting a new laptop configured, finally, and it's going to
> get fetchmail + procmail + mutt on it RSN.

Word, brother.

I find procmail comfortable through experience, but hot damn it's
still far more baroque than it needs to be. I've been casting sly
glances at GNU Sieve for a couple of years.

> Someone did me the favor of indicating that Mac was not a good
> choice, either as OS or hardware....

Whereas someone did *me* the favour of donating some Mac hardware a
few years ago, which has survived far better and consumed far fewer
resources (of all kinds I can measure) than the x86 jungle.

--
 \                            “Holy knit one purl two, Batman!” —Robin |
Ben Finney