[linux-elitists] [Meta] Is it now possible to CC other addresses on email to linux-elitists?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Mar 17 11:02:22 PDT 2009

On Sunday 15 March 2009 14:23:51 Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Shlomi Fish (shlomif at iglu.org.il):
> > ...and because sometimes you'd like to CC some other people.
>
> As a listadmin, I'd just like to say:  "You suck, sir."  CCing or BCCing
> non-subscribers on mailing list postings creates problems for any of
> those parties who attempt to respond, and for the listadmins who must
> then deal with the mess.

I agree that it can be a hustle to list-admins. But it still has many
legitimate uses.

> The clueful alternative is to send your
> posting to the list, and then forward it to any non-subscribers you wish
> to see it.
>
> Rejecting such posts is good for the cause of public education, if
> nothing else.
>
> > ...because other people and I are used to hitting "reply to all"...
>
> You don't even have the bad excuse of using a broken mailer, as you use
> KMail, which does list reply.

KMail does list reply all right - that's one of its many virtues. I don't use
it a lot because:

1. When replying to a post on a list, I still normally prefer Reply-to-all, so
people who are involved in the discussion will get an additional E-mail
message to their inbox. I know I consider emails in my inbox to be of higher
priority than those in my many mailing lists' folders, and I also noticed that
on GMail (which use less often than KMail), I tend to neglect reading the
mailing lists folders/labels. So I appreciate an email that arrives at my
inbox.

2. If I do want to reply only to the list (as is the case for linux-elitists),
I use the Right click-on-an-address+"Reply to..." feature of KMail (another
one that I really like).

In any case, I suggest the list-admins decide on a other-recipients policy,
implement it and let us know what it is, so we can train ourselves
accordingly.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Funny Anti-Terrorism Story - http://xrl.us/bjn7t