[linux-elitists] LGPL compliance

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Mar 13 10:23:12 PDT 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 14:51:26 Eugen Leitl wrote:
> A quick question: I caught some local code monkeys using LGPL
> licensed code about to be shipped in a proprietary product.
> In order to assure we're compliant, do we have
> to isolate the LGPL code into a dynamically linked library,
> or is it enough to use a statically linked library using
> unmodified LGPL code and ship the full source of the LGPL code
> and the license along with it without disclosing the proprietary
> code statically linked to it? IANAL, so I don't exactly know what
> qualifies as a derivative work.

The Wikipedia seems to have the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License#Differences_from_the_GPL

> I presume that we have to use a dynamic linking approach, but
> I'd like to check to make sure before making the people jump through
> a couple of extra hoops.

The dynamic linking approach would be safer legally. If you wish to statically
link the library, then according to the Wikipedia, you must provide a building
environment that will allow to link the proprietary code against a newer or
modified version of the LGPLed library.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> Thanks.