[linux-elitists] Contributing to a Project with a Maintainer Who Doesn't Merge Contributions Quickly

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Mar 9 13:29:22 PDT 2009

On Monday 09 March 2009 20:55:21 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry for the late response.
>
> On Saturday 17 January 2009 20:22:38 Don Marti wrote:
> > begin Shlomi Fish quotation of Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 07:02:14PM +0200:
> > > So now I'll have to study the python setuptools just to fix the bzr-svn
> > > build.
> >
> > There's always git, which is a DVCS with fewer
> > dependencies, mostly in portable C.  (Now a
> > mix of C and shell, with a little Perl, they're
> > rewriting more and more of it in C every release.
> > Other dependencies: zlib, openssl, libcurl, ssh,
> > expat; plus Tcl/Tk if you want gitk and git-gui)
>
> Well, it's not as if bzr-svn has so much more dependencies, that I am
> unable to resolve with urpmi in Mandriva. It's just that its rpm creation
> is borked, which is easy to fix given the good know-how. If a software
> package does not work, the proper action for a capable hacker to do is to
> see how to remedy it. Like I say:
>
> {{{
> Hacker sees bug.
> Hacker does not want bug.
> Hacker fixes bug.
> }}}
>
> I already fixed the rpm creation of subvertpy which is included in bzr-svn:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/subvertpy/+bug/318255
>
> And I now intend to take a look at bzr-svn itself.

Seems like the RPM-building bug was already fixed in bzr-svn by the time I got
to dealing with it today:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/311712

I was able to branch the remote Subversion repository based on Ben's
instructions. Thanks!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Freecell Solver - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/