[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Mar 2 16:14:58 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:52:00AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Greg Folkert quotation of Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:02:45PM -0500:
> > On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 07:53 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > It's identical.
>
> So what's the rule for how much of a patent beef
> there needs to be about something to get it kicked
> out of the kernel?

That's a really good question, I don't know.

The problem is that some of the patents are not valid in all countries
except for the US.  So it's just fine for you to write extended file
names on vfat in Europe with Linux kernel code.

I'll ask some lawyers I know about this and see what they say.

thanks,

greg k-h