[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 2 10:52:00 PST 2009

begin Greg Folkert quotation of Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:02:45PM -0500:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 07:53 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > It's identical.

So what's the rule for how much of a patent beef
there needs to be about something to get it kicked
out of the kernel?

> Yikes. So I guess its true that Microsoft *IS* going after Embedded
> Linux Vendors and possibly like Debian, Ubuntu, and so on in the long
> term.

The revenue maximizing strategy for MSFT is to wait
for something to make its way through the kernel.org
process into embedded products, then attack.
That also makes Linux into MSFT's most profitable
embedded OS, which can only draw attention and
investment away from actual software development.

From the outside it looks like MSFT is having
an intense internal debate between the product
people and the patent trolls, and it's hard to
see who's winning except when a troll lawsuit
gets filed, or when high-profile in-house
trolls leave MSFT for a dedicated troll firm...

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti@zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco