[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot@hot.pl
Mon Mar 2 09:04:54 PST 2009

Greg KH:

> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 05:06:07PM +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

>> Do you know whether such ‘encrypted’
>> applications work with a jailbroken G1/ADP1?

> They should all "work", it's just a matter if the market application
> will allow you to purchase them or not. I don't know if that is the
> case, sorry.

Again, thanks for the clarification. I wonder whether the Android Market
application will have a list of ‘kosher’ devices (and, if so, whether
for example Neo FreeRunner will be on the list)…

> And I can understand why this is the case, as on an ADP1, it is
> trivial to get access to such applications, making the "encryption"
> pointless. I think the bigger issue might just be conveying to the
> developers creating such applications that they are decreasing their
> potential customer base by doing this.

Right. The problem is whether the ADP1-using fraction of the market
will be large enough for the app developers to care; I can see
developer-targeted apps staying unencrypted, but if the encryption
does carry some real-world advantages for run-of-the-mill apps, the
ADP1 userbase might not be large enough to be convincing. <sigh />

> Oh, and there is no such thing as a "jailbroken" ADP1. By default, the
> ADP1 has a bootloader that lets you load anything in it, and it comes
> with an empty root password.

Right – jailbreaking in this case would mean making the Android
Market application think it’s on a regular (and not jailbroken) G1.

Thanks again for the insights,
— Shot
--
uoıʇɔnɹʇsuoɔ ɹəpun