[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Mar 2 08:24:21 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 05:06:07PM +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
> Greg KH:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:20:14AM +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
>
> >> The problem with ADP1 is that you can’t really use it as
> >> a full-fledged Android phone: while you can flash it, you
> >> won’t be able to buy any paid apps from the Android Market.
>
> > No, that's not true, I just bought an
> > application on my ADP1 phone just fine.
>
> > It's just the applications that the original developer chooses to
> > distribute in "encrypted" form that do not show up on the ADP1 to
> > be purchased. That could be a free or paid application.
>
> Thanks for the clarification, Greg (and apologies for
> the misinformation). Do you know whether such ‘encrypted’
> applications work with a jailbroken G1/ADP1?

They should all "work", it's just a matter if the market application
will allow you to purchase them or not.  I don't know if that is the
case, sorry.

And I can understand why this is the case, as on an ADP1, it is trivial
to get access to such applications, making the "encryption" pointless.
I think the bigger issue might just be conveying to the developers
creating such applications that they are decreasing their potential
customer base by doing this.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a "jailbroken" ADP1.  By default, the
ADP1 has a bootloader that lets you load anything in it, and it comes
with an empty root password.

thanks,

greg k-h