[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Mar 2 05:02:50 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 16:04 -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> Danger!  MSFT patents!  Larry Augustin writes,
> "FAT32 is not an open and unencumbered technology."
>
> http://lmaugustin.typepad.com/lma/2009/02/linux-microsoft-and-patents-its-time-to-get-the-fat-out.html
>
> So is it time to start treating FAT support like MP3
> today or GIFs back in the day -- something that can't
> be included with a Free distribution, to be "burned"
> and replaced with a Free alternative?  (some of the
> flash-oriented filesystems might be a good choice for
> the kind of thing people tend to use FAT for these
> days: http://lwn.net/Articles/276025/ )
>
> Or is FAT more like JPEG -- something that's subject
> to bogus patent claims, but usable?

Real question:
How different is the FAT/VFAT/MSDOS Partition code in TomTom's Kernel,
vs say a Kernel.org kernel or even RedHat's or Gentoo's or Debian's or
any others for that matter?

Speculation:
I think we are seeing the back-door approach, and Microsoft doesn't use
lube. I believe that this is the 236 patents sword rattling they did a
while ago. Mainly to get the embedded companies to fork over the dough
or use Wince^H^HdowsCE.

But does anyone else believe Microsoft just can't play in the park with
others? Even with them proclaiming they are going to tell other kids
moms on them for copying Microsoft... even when in fact everyone has
been trying to ignore the annoying kid.

MEH!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net