[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot@hot.pl
Mon Mar 2 00:20:14 PST 2009

Marc MERLIN:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:11:27AM +0000, Carl van Tonder wrote:

>> Phones are sold almost exclusively by companies that, whatever other
>> good design decisions they may make, manage to come out with the most
>> brain-dead ways of restricting what you can do with your piece of
>> plastic.

> I think the problem is whether you buy a subsidized
> phone from a carrier or a real phone from a phone maker.

[…]

> So yes, the Tmobile G1 is not meant to be open. The ADP1
> is. I'm sure there will be more phones in either category.

The problem with ADP1 is that you can’t really use it as a full-fledged
Android phone: while you can flash it, you won’t be able to buy any paid
apps from the Android Market. Once again a jailbroken iPhone wins, and
while I was almost sold on paying extra for an ADP1, I think I’d rather
get a G1 from my carrier and jailbreak it. :(

— Shot, who also has to jailbreak his mother’s iPhone to give her MMS…
--
uoıʇɔnɹʇsuoɔ ɹəpun