[linux-elitists] Multi-terrabyte filesystems in Linux?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Jun 29 22:23:33 PDT 2009

>>   - fdisk maxes at about 355 GB, for some reason.
>>   - parted creates the partition but ...
>>   - mkfs.ext2 fails with a "file to large" error (not sure of the exact
>>     quote).

I made terabyte-sized partitions with Centos5 just a few months ago.
(Yeah, production environment, clients wanted little change)

That's 2.6.20 I think.

It's not a kernel age issue.

I bet it's a BIOS issue or a block-size issue.

Recently I fought amt64 kernel issues on Dell
T610 and T605 machines- they worked fine with
686 and 686smp kernels.  Turned out I had to
update the BIOS to Dell's latest and their
instructions were totally DOS and Windows only.
Turned out, though, that the windows .exe could
be just unzipped and ...

But I digress.

Have fun.

Tony