[linux-elitists] a decent Linux netbook

D. Joe deejoe at etrumeus.com
Mon Jun 29 14:18:31 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:49:59AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:55:46AM -0700, Jason Spence wrote:

> > I'm pretty happy with my Acer Aspire One I bought as part of the Radio
> > Shack deal where AT&T subsidizes it with a contract.
>
> I'll second the Aspire One recommendation.  I've been doing a lot of
> netbook testing due to recent Moblin work, and the Aspire device is the
> only one I did not expense, I kept it for myself as a replacement for my
> travelling laptop.

If booting from SD is a feature you seek please note that the
Aspire One cannot do this directly.  It will boot from an
internal SSD or HD, and from USB devices, but not from the card
slots.  I was disappointed to find this, because otherwise the
features+price+availability combination is about the best I've
seen, and because I had been running an original netbook, the
eeePC 701 (only 2GB internal SSD), from an 8GB SD card and like
the idea of being able to replace the boot device easily and
cheaply.

What Nick says about the eeePC as effectively having a thumb
board matches my experience, too.  Those ASUS devices with
screens under 10" (eg, the eePC 700 and 900 series) are just a
tad too small for much touch typing, though it can *almost* be
done in a pinch.  But even those beat hell out of other mobile
devices with ersatz keyboards, especially for serious
command-line work in which non-alphanumeric characters feature
heavily.

--
Joe
man screen | grep -A1 weird