[linux-elitists] a decent Linux netbook

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Jun 29 09:49:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:55:46AM -0700, Jason Spence wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 01:17:01PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >
> > I've been shopping around for a decent netbook system
> > (LED screen, Atom or equivalent, 2 GByte RAM, can take
> > SSDs (Kinston SSDNow-V series 64 GByte), effective battery
> > life 5-8 h)), for roughly 500 EUR. I want to mostly use
> > it as portable Nagios console, hooked up to UMTS via Bluetooth.
> >
> > So far I've found a Latitude 2100 (comes with Ubuntu 8.12)
> > and Asus Eee PC 1000HE. Any other recommendations? (Not
> > having to pay Microsoft tax in Germany is a plus).
>
> I'm pretty happy with my Acer Aspire One I bought as part of the Radio
> Shack deal where AT&T subsidizes it with a contract.

I'll second the Aspire One recommendation.  I've been doing a lot of
netbook testing due to recent Moblin work, and the Aspire device is the
only one I did not expense, I kept it for myself as a replacement for my
travelling laptop.

I ended up using Moblin on it to give a presentation at the Opensource
Bridge conference last week in Portland, and it performed wonderfully.

I'm going to slap my Intel SSD in the thing soon, and get a new battery,
and I'll be set.

hope this helps,

greg k-h