[linux-elitists] a decent Linux netbook

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Jun 29 09:08:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 16:20 +0100, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> Eugen Leitl:
> > Thanks, I kinda forgot about them. There's also Samsung NC20, and a few
> > HP Minis, damn, this is getting more and more complicated.
>
> If it helps, the HP Minis seem to be the only ones with a remotely sane
> keyboard.

I have Dell Mini 9 (64GB SSD, 2GB Memory)... that keyboard, wow, it
takes a lot of getting used to.

A Netbook in general should only be used for limited on the road work.
Its NOT intended for maximal coding or other things heavy things.

Basically viewing docs, spreadsheets, "doing" lite e-mail, web browsing
for certain type of things. I used mine for Driving Directions for my
day-to-day Motorcycle Trip and booking Hotels for that night, making
reservations for meals and scheduling entertainment. Emergency ssh
sessions back to work via Cellular Broadband (I have an EVDO USB Adapter
from Verizon now vs PCMCIA like I had before). Everything worked a charm
for the limited stuff I did. It even worked for the wife with Twitter
and Facebook and her webmail services from "Comcast" blech...

Netbooks are not Notebook/Desktop replacements, but something to have
along for convenience.

/me notes Debian SID and OSX work great on that Mini 9.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2