[linux-elitists] a decent Linux netbook

Jason Spence jspence at lightconsulting.com
Mon Jun 29 08:55:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 01:17:01PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I've been shopping around for a decent netbook system
> (LED screen, Atom or equivalent, 2 GByte RAM, can take
> SSDs (Kinston SSDNow-V series 64 GByte), effective battery
> life 5-8 h)), for roughly 500 EUR. I want to mostly use
> it as portable Nagios console, hooked up to UMTS via Bluetooth.
>
> So far I've found a Latitude 2100 (comes with Ubuntu 8.12)
> and Asus Eee PC 1000HE. Any other recommendations? (Not
> having to pay Microsoft tax in Germany is a plus).

I'm pretty happy with my Acer Aspire One I bought as part of the Radio
Shack deal where AT&T subsidizes it with a contract.

A few notes:

The Atom chipset can't do more than 2 GiB of RAM, so if you have, say,
512 MiB on the motherboard already then you can only upgrade to 1.5
and not 2.5.

The Aspire One keyboard is at the lower bound of what I can touch type
on.  I can't type reliably on the Eee PC 900 keyboards, they're a
touch smaller than the Aspire One.

To get 8-9 hours of battery life, you have to get an aftermarket
battery and the high capacity ones stick out quite a bit.  The netbook
won't be flat afterwards either, because the hicap batteries form a
little stand that the netbook sits on.

The Windows firmware for the Qualcomm Gobi chipset in my unit
activates a serial port which is labelled "NMEA".  I can't figure out
how to make it provide GPS data, but it would be darn handy if I
could.

There's something weird going on with the Atheros chip in my unit: it
stops forwarding frames after a while no matter whose drivers I'm
using.  I have to reboot to fix this.

--
 - Jason                                   Last known location: 67.164.123.254

DEFAULT:
	The hardware's, of course.