[linux-elitists] Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" Drops Support for PowerPC-based Macs

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Jun 15 04:55:26 PDT 2009

Hi all!

As mentioned here:

http://www.osnews.com/story/21634/Snow_Leopard_To_Arrive_in_Sept_29_USD_Safari_4_Out

{{{
[Snow Leopard] will be available coming September for All Intel Macs, past and
present (so, as expected, no PowerPC).
}}}

So all the Mac users who've bought PowerPC-based Macs machines back before
Apple switched to x86 should now either buy a new Macintosh or switch to Linux
or whatever. This is not the first time Apple has ended support for a
processor architecture that it used to sell. The Rockwell-based Apple ][ and
the m68k-based Macintoshes also come to mind.

What will the future hold for today's Apple machines? When x86-64 becomes more
common will today's x86-32 machines become unsupported by Apple? What if x86
will be superceded by a completely different (and probably superior)
architecture?

And the ironic thing is that Linux and other open-source operating systems
still support m68k, PPC and many other architectures just fine. Go, go, open-
source!

On a slightly different note, there had been someone frequenting Freenode's
#perl who ran MacPerl on Mac OS Classic. I told him he should upgrade to Mac
OS X or use Linux instead, but he couldn't afford the upgrade (which now would
have done him no good), and he would rather not risk turning his computer into
a Linux machine. I found his presence annoying.

Recently we've also been frequented by someone who tried to install a new
version of Perl on BeOS , and ran into many problems. I guess there isn't any
shortage of people using deprecated operating systems in the world.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish