[linux-elitists] When do you bail on a new free software/open source program?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu Jul 30 02:22:46 PDT 2009

Shlomi Fish  <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:
>On Thursday 30 July 2009 01:30:52 Don Marti wrote:
>> There's way too much free or open source software out
>> there to actually try all of it, even the packages
>> that look like they might be useful.
>>
>> So where do you lose interest in, or stop working
>> with, a new program?
>>

>I lose interest at many of these stages depending on the program.

As do I, but if I'm reading about it, this is probably because I'm looking to
solve a problem that I think it might address.

I am less likely to lose interest quickly if people who appear to be well
informed recommend it, however. Also, if it is packaged for my distribution of
choice (Debian), it's more likely to reach the stage of being installed, at
least temporarily.

>> 3. Configure the new software.
>>

>Well, I expect most software to work reasonably well without the need to
>configure it first.

I agree, at least to the extent of being able to try it to find out whether I
like it. If I decide that I'm going to use it, I then devote time to
configuring it, if necessary, to meet my needs.

If it's good software, then I will rarely have to touch the configuration
unless my needs or circumstances change. For example, my Procmail
configuration has been largely stable for more than a decade, with occasional
changes to add/remove mailing lists and some experimentation with different
anti-spam tools.