[linux-elitists] When do you bail on a new free software/open source program?

Francois Marier francois at debian.org
Wed Jul 29 18:32:24 PDT 2009

On 2009-07-29 at 19:38:16, Brian wrote:
> I hate to admit it, but for GUI apps the screenshots are often the biggest
> influences.

That sounds about right. I subscribe to the Freshmeat mailing list (filtered
using whatsnewfm.pl) and most of the time, if a projet sounds interesting, I
only get as far as the screenshots. When a project doesn't have one, it
better have a very exciting description, otherwise I'm not very likely to
look into it (let alone download the tarball and try it out).

That's why I decided to include a silly screenshot for a simple command-line
script I wrote:

  http://code.google.com/p/safe-rm/

There's something about pictures... might explain why the Google Chrome
comic book was so succesful.

Francois