[linux-elitists] biggest binary blob EVAH? was: So, Microsoft spent that good will already.

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Jul 24 11:02:24 PDT 2009

begin D. Joe Anderson quotation of Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:48:31PM -0400:

> For example, one might say that this effort is doing nothing so
> much as turning a proprietary OS into Linux's biggest binary
> blob ever.

Yes, but one would be wrong.  The actual Linux
instance here is blob-free and should be untainted.

If you're a software company or maintainer, you
can start saying, "Yes, we have a Microsoft®
Windows version, how many copies can I put you
down for?" when all you have to maintain is a POSIX
version, delivered as a Linux guest image.  No more
chasing the MSFT API du jour, and you can bundle
all your favorite languages and support software,
and configure your favorite security framework.
Shouldn't be too much more work than maintaining a
package for a conventional distribution, as rPath
has shown.  And should be way less work than testing
against new MSFT releases.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco