[linux-elitists] So, Microsoft spent that good will already. | Rick Moen please ignore.

James Sparenberg james at linuxrebel.org
Thu Jul 23 19:31:56 PDT 2009

Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:06:05AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
>> (1) == I think that the Kernel Code that was "contributed" via GPLv2 to
>> the Kernel has a larger story.
>>

> And what would that be?
>

>> Greg K-H do you have any information about this possible GPL violation,
>> "forcing" this code release, I've been reading about? Something to do
>> with Vyatta... Stephen Hemminger... he felt Novell was to close to
>> Microsoft to resolve this directly.
>>

> You are using "to" incorrectly here.
>

>> Here is that link:
>> http://linux-network-plumber.blogspot.com/2009/07/congratulations-microsoft.html
>>

> Which I pointed to on my blog as properly describing the backstory
> involved in getting this code released.
>
> So again, what's the big problem / story here?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

It seems that with all of the chest puff and other BSD worthy statements
so far, the really interesting point, from this article, is being missed.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/23/microsoft_hyperv_gpl_violation/

Seems that MS is releasing code under the GPL that previously, actually
violatedthe GPL.  In other words they aren't willing to get caught as
SCO did, in a situation where they can't claim foul because of their own
dirty behavior.

So it seems that, as many of us have suspected.  There is GPL'd code in
the Microsoft base, and they are expunging themselves of it, or at least
sufficiently expunging themselves to give the appearance of being a good
citizen. Maybe the 17% drop in Q-3 to Q-4 revenues has something to do
with why they are doing it now.  I don't know.

James