[linux-elitists] writing well about excellent suppliers of excellent widgets [was Re: OH NOOES! Another GPL release from Microsoft!]

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Thu Jul 23 09:00:51 PDT 2009

>> Which is correct?:
>> 1. Foobar Widgets Inc. are an excellent supplier of widgets.
>> 2. Foobar Widgets Inc. are excellent suppliers of widgets.
>> 3. Foobar Widgets Inc. is an excellent supplier of widgets.
>
> So, more "correct" answers to your query in the current context
> include:
>
> 4. Foobar Widgets Inc. provide an excellent supply of widgets.
> 5. Foobar Widgets Inc. offer an excellent supply of widgets.
>
> depending, of course, on what one intends to say.  Less wordy,
> e-prime, action verbs, and all that.
>
> After all, we're talking about writing well . . . right?

In that case you should probably say instead

> 4. Foobar Widgets Inc. supply excellent widgets.

Of course in the above it was unclear whether or not the widgets
themselves were excellent and now we have removed all doubt.  Was the
initial intent to be ambiguous?

And this one:

> 5. Foobar Widgets Inc. offer excellent widgets.

So are they excellent at supplying excellent widgets?  Or do they only
claim to be.  We are actually changing the meaning when we re-word
like that.