[linux-elitists] OH NOOES! Another GPL release from Microsoft!

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 22 14:17:43 PDT 2009

on Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:12:01AM -0700, Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Greg Folkert (greg at gregfolkert.net):
>
> > Evidently, I'm in a bit of a quandary.
> > Microsoft has yet again released a GPL'd piece, this time for Moodle.
>
> Microsoft Corporation have been publicly publishing GPL-licensed
> software at least since 1999, when they acquired Softway Systems, Inc.,
> publishers of Interix.  Is news delivery slow in your vicinity?

Quite.

I recall actually getting involved in a small way when SFU (Microsoft
Services for Unix, now SUA), the repackaged version of Interix, appeared, with
several GPLd works, but failed to comply with GPL source distribution
terms.

I found the name and email of the EVP responsible (IIRC Interix's former
CEO), noted the discrepency, cc'd the FSF, and got back a friendly note
that they'd remedy the problem, which as I recall, did happen.

Microsoft have been releasing, and complying with, GPL terms for years,
quite possibly over a decade, despite their public whinging over the
license.  I see it as a very simple and elegant statement of why they
dislike it so greatly:  as much as it displeases them to do so, they've
got little choice but to comply.

No news here, but another shade of two of irony.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.