[linux-elitists] OH NOOES! Another GPL release from Microsoft!

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Jul 22 11:27:28 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 11:04 -0700, Joe wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > Evidently, I'm in a bit of a quandary.
> >
> > Microsoft has yet again released a GPL'd piece, this time for Moodle.
> >

> I hate to ruin the party - but I'm afraid this move of their isn't about
> freedom.
>
> The observant will note that microsoft has GPL'd none of their core
> software - everything they've released in this manner is merely some
> bits of glue logic to tie users to their proprietary back end.
>
> Whether Hyper-V, windows live or some other microsoft property, the GPL
> bits are tossed out into the open source community as loss leaders, so
> to speak.
>
> Apparently microsoft is fine with linux and open source - as long as
> it's running on a microsoft platform, and/or dependent in some way upon
> a microsoft platform.
>
> Joe

So... you are saying this is inconsequential? You are saying Microsoft
*ISN'T* following the rules?

They gotta start some where! Yes this *DOES* prove they understand the
GPL MUCH MORE than they've led on for 15+ years.

Personally, I'd not use Microsoft software if at all possible. Sure it
helps people USE Microsoft "backend" systems. Think about this though,
using things like Moodle and Hyper-V... allows much more interesting
things to come about. IOW, Microsoft just SERIOUSLY validated the Linux
Kernel, Moodle and Open Source in ways no marketing could even begin to
do. Thereby allowing other Open Source projects and products to wind
their way into the corporate infrastructure in a more "coming out" way,
rather than behind closed doors or being snuck into the fray.

Sure, I still dislike Microsoft, but I'll still give them a chance to
screw things up again. If they don't screw it up, then all the better,
right?

Plus, GPL'ing things like Windows and Office and MSSQL server etc...
GRAVE implication are there. Think about how many other companies would
POUR over that code and file lawsuits in an instant. Heck SCOg might
even be able to win one of those.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2