[linux-elitists] OH NOOES! Another GPL release from Microsoft!

Joe joe at tmsusa.com
Wed Jul 22 11:04:47 PDT 2009

Greg Folkert wrote:
> Evidently, I'm in a bit of a quandary.
>
> Microsoft has yet again released a GPL'd piece, this time for Moodle.

I hate to ruin the party - but I'm afraid this move of their isn't about
freedom.

The observant will note that microsoft has GPL'd none of their core
software - everything they've released in this manner is merely some
bits of glue logic to tie users to their proprietary back end.

Whether Hyper-V, windows live or some other microsoft property, the GPL
bits are tossed out into the open source community as loss leaders, so
to speak.

Apparently microsoft is fine with linux and open source - as long as
it's running on a microsoft platform, and/or dependent in some way upon
a microsoft platform.

Joe