[linux-elitists] Linux Kernel Developers... HOW COULD YOU!?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Jul 21 10:26:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:05:04AM -0700, Jason Spence wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:02:12PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > >
> > > It was only a matter of time.  We've allowed all other companies to
> > > contribute, what's one more minor one?  :)
> >
> > Yeah, yeah... I knew then answer. You knew I knew the answer, being a
> > rhetorical question.

> > > Um, what specifically are you concerned about?  They released the code
> > > under the GPLv2, and met all of the requirements that we ask any
> > > contributor to make, as described in the file,
> > > Documentation/SubmittingPatches in the kernel tree.
> > >
> > > So what exactly is the big deal?
> >
> > So they REALLY DID release it under TEH EVUL GPLv2. And followed all the
> > reqs put on everyone else. I'm just skeptical of them and the previous
> > incarnations of "playing nice" they've had in the last decade or more.
> >
> > The big deal is the "EEE" they tend to do... with the emphasis of the
> > last "E" being my biggest worry.
> >
> > If you are satisfied Greg, I'll take it under advisement. One last
> > question, any standing on Luis' e-mail holding any water?
>
> The funny thing is that this is much more open than how vmware ships
> their drivers, which makes me want to start considering hyper-v
> seriously.

Yeah, vmware still ships closed source kernel drivers, and _REFUSES_ to
deal with the Linux kernel community.  I have personally asked, and even
begged them to let me help them many times, in public, in the past.
They have refused every time.

Pretty sad, for a company that would not even be around if it weren't
for Linux in the first place, as that is what drives their enterprise
products...

bah,

greg k-h