[linux-elitists] Linux Kernel Developers... HOW COULD YOU!?

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Tue Jul 21 10:07:22 PDT 2009

Greg KH:
> Um, what specifically are you concerned about?  They released the code
> under the GPLv2, and met all of the requirements that we ask any
> contributor to make, as described in the file,
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches in the kernel tree.

It's important to remember that the GPL was designed to protect a
community of hackers back when Microsoft themselves were still very
small potatoes.  It's survived all sorts of petty rent-seekers and their
lawyers, and remains the best indicator that a contribution to the
community is guaranteed to remain Free in perpetuity.

Perhaps you worry about subtle gamesmanship, but this very clearly puts
the lie to a decade of Microsoft scare-mongering: if it was as bad as
they said, why did they join in?

Sure, you can expect TechCrunch to misinterpret this entirely and create
an army of ill-informed readers.  That's a problem that can't be solved
by turning away a good-faith contribution to the eternally-public body
of code and knowledge.

--
"Ill-informed qmail-bashing is better than no           Nick Moffitt
qmail-bashing at all."                                 nick at zork.net
        --Don Marti