[linux-elitists] Linux Kernel Developers... HOW COULD YOU!?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Jul 21 10:05:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 09:55 -0700, Joe wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > How could you ALLOW Microsoft to contribute to the Linux Kernel!?
> >
> > OMGTHEENK0FTEHCHEELDRUN! BOYCOTT NOVELL! THE BEAST IS TAKING OVER!
> >
> Remember, microsoft loves open source - so long as it's running on top
> of microsoft windows.
>
> IMHO there's no legal threat from the GPL2'd code which was contributed
> to the linux kernel on behalf of microsoft. That code in and of itself
> is probably fine.
>
> The cleverer ones on this list may have already thought of the moves
> redmond is likely to make later on. I can easily envision them talking
> to their captive, linux on hyperv customers about simplifying,
> eliminating the middle man, and running the open source apps directly on
> microsoft windows. It takes no Nostradamus to see that as the inevitable
> end game of this gambit.
>
> Joe

Right. My real concern is that to get the ability to run 15 different
services on a Windows Server... you have to Virtualize. There is NO WAY
IN *H311* you'll be able to run 15 different services on the same
instance of Microsoft's Windows Server Platform.

Heck, these days, you are lucky if you don't have to Cluster machines
into the same setup and round robin everything.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2