[linux-elitists] Linux Kernel Developers... HOW COULD YOU!?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Jul 21 05:27:26 PDT 2009

How could you ALLOW Microsoft to contribute to the Linux Kernel!?

OMGTHEENK0FTEHCHEELDRUN! BOYCOTT NOVELL! THE BEAST IS TAKING OVER!

Oops, sorry. No, actually, I guess I just want to make sure "the
code" (known from here as "IT") doesn't taint the kernel and that
Microsoft *really* did release it as GPLv2 (its VIRAL and INFECTS,
donchyaknow... cha-cha-cha). That IT has gone through the same vetting
everything else has. That the critical eyes have gone over IT and IT is
kosher in regards to coding standards... etc.

I guess, I have a revulsion to and suspicion of Microsoft that makes me
"by default" consider things like this as "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish",
but I'm in a good mood these past few days, as the "Boss" is on vacation
for two weeks, as I'm considering a different motive on this.

Perhaps, Microsoft actually *IS* concerned about interoperability and
compatibility to the point they *NEED* to make sure that the
Virtualization Technology they have/use isn't steam-rolled over by other
projects... and play along with the other kids on the playground.
Resulting in more apparent control of the playground, something they
have lost a lot of.

Of course, they could change course and do things similar to what they
did with OOXML, or like they did with Netscape, or 386MAX, or what they
*ARE* doing to Norton/foop stuff or { nearly ad-infinitum }

So Greg, (or anyone else able to answer) what is the real take, from
someone closer to the point, on this?
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2