[linux-elitists] Microcomputerism

Karsten M. Self karsten at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 14 16:30:37 PDT 2009

on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 07:11:55AM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org) wrote:
> Remember when "microcomputers" (nobody called them
> "PCs" yet) were going to bring power to individuals
> and small organizations?  Does anyone still have a
> favorite pro-decentralization essay from the days
> of 8-bit machines that came with real manuals?
> Maybe it's the introduction to a BASIC book, or an
> article in a purple mimeographed newsletter done on
> a dot-matrix printer.

I've got sort of the anti-micro quote, from Ed "Y2K is teh endh!"
Yourdon:

    Unless you are very rich and very eccentric, you will not enjoy the
    luxury of having a computer in your own home.
      - Ed Yourdon, _Techniques of Program Structure and Design_, 1975

The Altair 8800 was first sold in 1975.  Jobs & Woz built the Apple I in
1976 and were selling the Apple ][ in 1977.

If you want a really good idea of where computer trends aren't going,
read Yourdon.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten at linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten