[linux-elitists] Google uber alles

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Jul 12 09:23:54 PDT 2009

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:18:58AM +0100:
> Bob Bernstein:
> > It's one thing to show Auntie Pearl how to use a gmail account to see
> > pictures of the grandkids, but it's another thing to (a la Greg) run
> > all company messaging and documentation through Google.
>
> I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who work for
> competitors of Apple or Google, yet keep mail and strategic documents on
> mac.com or various google services.

Google's press list used to be a Yahoo list.

But you don't know who the janitors and security
guards are really working for either.  If you're
giving outside people the time and access to install
a keylogger, why are you worried about using a hosted
service?

And think of it from Management's point of view.  Are
you going to give control of your vital infrastructure
to some vendor that will probably keep prices and
terms pretty stable because they don't care about you
individually, or to your in-house BOFH who could quit
or ask for a raise at any time?  Or worse, to the
institutionalized BOFHery that is the IT Department?

ASP/hosted/Saas/cloud usage is a cry for help in the
dysfunctional management/sysadmin relationship.

"When we need something that works we try to avoid
the IT department finding out about it." -- audience
member at OSBC.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco