[linux-elitists] Google uber alles

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Jul 12 00:23:09 PDT 2009

Bob Bernstein  <rs at bernstein.providence.ri.us> wrote:

>Speaking of which, i.e. encrypted email and privacy and all that
>jazz, wouldn't it be nice to see FOS entities lead the charge for
>making email encryption the rule rather than the exception? Yes,
>that would be very nice.

I agree, although there's still the problem of the SaaS provider's being able
to decrypt the messages, or worse, what the cracker who compromises the SaaS
provider would be able to do.

I would rather place my trust in the GNUPG developers and the Debian
maintainers to help ensure that, (with perhaps the rare exception that
fortunately hasn't happened yet, so far as is known), my (mostly hypothetical)
encrypted mail is secure until it reaches the intended recipient.