[linux-elitists] Google uber alles

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat Jul 11 20:50:17 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 02:02 +0000, Jason White wrote:
> Rick Moen  <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>
> >A Linux distro configured for hosted proprietary applications:  I'm just
> >overcome with excitement.
>
> I share Rick's sentiment. My larger worry concerns the whole "cloud computing"
> craze, with its associated aim of turning everybody's desktop system into
> little more than a terminal accessing corporate-hosted server-side
> applications. This very much reminds me of the corporate driven publicity ten
> years ago surrounding Java: the idea was supposed to be that we would
> eventually be running server-side applications on thin Java clients.

See X-Terminal. Or Running XDMCP on a server and allowing your X-Server
to be managed by it.

> I think there are many organizations and individuals who would be unwilling to
> hand over their data and applications to third parties, especially large
> service providers, but then again, the extent of stupidity, ignorance and
> short-term self-interested thinking always has the capacity to amaze.

I'm confused. Are you saying:

Entities (people or organizations) would be stupid for handing their
data and applications to third parties.

Or:

Entities (people or organizations) would be stupid for NOT handing their
data and applications to third parties.

I'd like to know.

Just as an FYI, I work for a SaaS that is PCI compliant as we handle
lotsa Credit Card Data. Our main method and e-mail is Google Hosted Apps
and Google Hosted E-Mail.

I'm not saying I love it, but it is much better than having our
"internal wiki-ish knowledge base" for collaboration... easier than
maintaining two separate services for many people's e-mail (external
spam/virus services and mail services pop/imap/mx). Keeping yet another
service for calendars, and web-dav and personal sites and external
sharing and ... other stuff.

We also have hosted Asterisk... with geo-redundant fail-over. Use DNS
Made Easy.

Oh did I mention we don't have any brick and mortar locations?

Ehhh, what do I know.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2