[linux-elitists] Google uber alles

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Jul 10 09:14:49 PDT 2009

begin Greg KH quotation of Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:12:58PM -0700:

> Heck, I'm typing this from a laptop that already boots in less than 5
> seconds to a working, logged in user.  A few more seconds to bring up
> firefox and boom, there you have the Google announcement already
> finished.

Especially if all that the hardware manufacturer needs
is, "neener, neener, look at this, MSFT, can I have
a Windows discount now?"

There are two ways that a PC vendor can get a higher
return rate for a product: sell a too-slow Windows
system with the minimum hardware configuration and
the lowest trim level of the OS, or sell Linux.
Today, for many vendors, it's worth eating the Linux
returns in order to get better pricing and terms
from Microsoft.

The fun part is when the users who _don't_ return
their Linux machines start to buy products like office
all-in-one printer/scanner/fax machines (AIOs).  What
happens when customers start returning AIOs because
they don't work right with their Linux machines?

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco