[linux-elitists] Google uber alles

Brian brian at brianm.org
Fri Jul 10 06:50:34 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Bob
Bernstein<rs at bernstein.providence.ri.us> wrote:

> When the MSM splashed their "news" of Google's operating system
> plans all over the place, I expected to find this list brimming
> with insight, snotty remarks, riposte, and drivel. Imagine my
> disappointment! Have linux elitists been struck dumb by Google?

There's no "there" there yet. Google's got a hit/miss ratio not unlike
other companies. Look at Lively, Google Answers, Google Browser Sync,
and some of their other aborted ventures. To date, it's just a company
that's preannounced a Linux distro with a few whizbang features.

It is a bit weird for the announcement to come on the tail of
Schmidt's "please don't regulate us" media circuit, though. The last
few weeks have been all about preaching how un-Microsoftlike they are.