[linux-elitists] thermodynamics, and some other ranting Re: git and a sysadmin book

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Tue Jan 20 17:05:08 PST 2009


On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:00:17AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> [Carl commented offlist, and I infer that he must have dropped into
> private mail accidentally, because he started out with "Hi all, As a
> lurker with half a science degree (and some study of 'science and normal
> people') I thought I could possibly explain why it is that:"  Thank you,
> Carl, for your comments.]
> 
> 
> Quoting Carl van Tonder (carl@supervacuo.com):
> 
> [examples of various words having specific defined meanings in science ] 
> 
> > As such, whenever someone uses one of these words in a way that appears
> > to conflate scientific and general meaning, the scientific pedant in us
> > cries out. Saying that you sell 'positive energy crystals' is fine, but
> > don't claim you can run my car on them.
> 
> Yes, believe me, my teeth grate when I hear that, for the same reason.
> (My degree was in math, but I'm reasonably scientifically literate.)
> 
> > In the same way that you'd probably leap all over me if I used a flawed
> > technology analogy (I struggle to think of one, but that may be for the
> > best or this would be a meta-analogy), people who 'know' what entropy is
> > in either the (specific) scientific or computing sense will enact a
> > knee-jerk elitist reaction to correct you.
> 
> The odd thing is, when I heard Karsten first mentioning his dictum some
> years ago (1990s), I had to suppress exactly such an urge:  That is, I
> really wanted to tell him "You know, you're abusing the concept of
> 'entropy' in your rule of thumb, as it really doesn't excctly mean
> that."
> 
> But then, knowing Karsten, I estimated that he knew that already and was
> deliberately using it in the usual loose, conversational sense.  So,
> there wasn't much point in having that chat.  In fact, because his rule
> of thumb kept striking me as interesting, I added it to my "Lexicon"
> page (http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#selfs-law), where it's
> lived for the past couple of years.
> 
> Even at that, I've kept looking at the page entry and trying to rewrite
> it in my head, to avoid slightly mangling the concept of entropy.  Each
> time, I'd given up after a few minutes, as just one of life's small
> imperfections that aren't worth fussing over.
> 
> > Sure, it obscures your point and sure, it's fairly small-minded. But
> > hey, this wouldn't be the elitists without elitism.
> 
> I have absolutely nothing against elitism, but it's really helpful to
> also have a sense of perspective and context -- which really was my point.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> linux-elitists mailing list
> linux-elitists@zgp.org
> http://allium.zgp.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/linux-elitists



I think it would be better is we all defined Ennthropy in the Gibbs
sense and then take it from there.  Afterall, that is what my PhD is on

Ruben
-- 
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff
http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com  DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI Safir 2002

"Yeah - I write Free Software...so SUE ME"

"The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

"> I'm an engineer. I choose the best tool for the job, politics be damned.<
You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt.  I guess you missed that one."

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium


More information about the linux-elitists mailing list