[linux-elitists] thermodynamics, and some other ranting Re: git and a sysadmin book

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Tue Jan 20 16:57:59 PST 2009

> Some people use language in fuzzy fashion because it's easier than
> footnoting every third sentence they might speak - others use it so because
> at least for that moment, their brains are fuzzy - yet others do so because
> poking at the boundaries of how people think is at least *one* way to
> encourage them to think at all -

While the fuzzy locgic of language use, and for that matter creative
thinking and discovery, is essentail for human communication, it never
the less has to still be precise enough to convey a meaning that both
the listner and the speaker/writer agre to.  Communication is of course
a partnership, and the more educated you become, especially in a broad
sense, the more rigerous one listens for the precision of the message.
This is the result of a broader experience that fills in the mean of
words and phases in precise ways.  While a truly intellegent person
functions bilaterally with regard to fuzzy language and within the
precision of the meaning of words, the checksum still needs to be
correct for the message to be accepted by both parties.  The more
presice the speaker, the easier this is.

Now look at Rick for an example.  His speach and writings are so packed
with precise information, and his mind is rigerous in its logic, that
when he writes, I have to really work to parse his messages.  He is
obviously brilliant, and it is always worth it.  But he does provide and
example where too much precision can produce a white noise of its own
for those of us substantially not as smart :)

Ruevain