[linux-elitists] thermodynamics, and some other ranting Re: git and a sysadmin book

Heather Stern star@starshine.org
Mon Jan 19 11:29:51 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 07:06:56AM +0000, Carl van Tonder wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Whilst I agree that the concept is more important than the ins and outs
> of language used, in some cases it actually obscures meaning. I have
> only the vaguest sense of what Karsten meant (something along the lines
> of Sod's Law...), and, whilst I'm not sure mis-using scientific words
> (because 'entropy' doesn't really have an everyday meaning) has made me
> understand his point less, it most certainly hasn't helped me understand
> it more.

It does for linux geeks - type enough, watch disks churn enough, have a bit
of raw traffic float by on various cards, and consider the pleasant core
dump a good linux geek can see from this comment:

    Oh, we're out of entropy, but in a few minutes it'll be back :)

Some people use language in fuzzy fashion because it's easier than
footnoting every third sentence they might speak - others use it so because
at least for that moment, their brains are fuzzy - yet others do so because
poking at the boundaries of how people think is at least *one* way to
encourage them to think at all -

Punsters may do several of these, or just be looking for a good laugh at how
things overlap.  In other languages, the idea that the portions of words
that make words have mixed and multiple meanings makes so much everyday
sense, that even the *idea* of puns isn't funny.  Oh well, their loss !

  . | .    Heather Stern          |
--->*<---  star@starshine.org   - * -   (408) 761-4912 cell
  ' | `    KG6ZYC                 |     (408) 374-7623 land

    If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.  -- Louis Armstrong