[linux-elitists] thermodynamics, and some other ranting Re: git and a sysadmin book

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 15 12:27:09 PST 2009

Quoting Heather Stern (star@starshine.org):
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:56:54PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> >
> > My brief serious point seems to have been misplaced.  Rephrasing:
>
> Because you hid it in semi-legalese and anger? :)

Did you get it the _second_ time, then?

It really never fails:  Every time someone uses the word "entropy" in
its loose, somewhat metaphorical general-knowledge sense, there's always
_somebody_ in the entourage who's determined to make sure we know that
that's not really the One True Meaning of the word -- which he then
proceeds to hold court concerning, generally oblivious to the multiple
(and poorly compatible) technical definitions.  Any time this occurs
_after_ high school, that person generally also should know that people
with basic science education have already gone through the entire
aforementioned shtick a few times.

But we listeners figuratively roll our eyes, and try to let the moment
pass.  But then some times the person feels the need to enlighten us
about the One True Meaning of "entropy" twice in succession -- and it
all becomes a little much.