[linux-elitists] git and a sysadmin book

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 14 14:41:41 PST 2009

on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:48:43AM -0500, D. Joe Anderson (deejoe@etrumeus.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:10:50PM +0000, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > Rick Moen:
> > > Anyway, whether the inexact borrowing was from one, two, or a dozen
> > > sciences' stockpiles of jargon really doesn't rise above trivia, nei?
> >
> > Very little of this thread has risen above trivia.
>
> Well, yes.  My respondent selectively focused on the part of my
> message that dealt with Karsten's persistent literal defense of
> his use of the term "entropy", rather than even acknowledging my
> subsequent point that the notion of "simplicity" in this context
> has some problems with it.

I'm looking for a statement that is both useful and at least reasonably
accurate.  I'm looking at definitions of entropy borrowing from both
information theory and physics, while not corresponding exactly to
either.  I think the general meaning has been clear to most here.

> I can only speculate as to why he focused on that more trivial portion
> of the message, and why he chose to favor my email in particular with
> his attention, but my doing so publically would undoubtedly only feed
> more droll, well-phrased pissiness.

Time constraints.  Looking to see how the thread played out (not as well
as I'd hoped, but about on par with historical experience).

> The question of what "simple" means, and the surrounding
> wrangling, supports by anti-example Don's point about sticking
> with a single opinionated point of view.  Trotting out "inexact"
> pseudoscientific constructions or defending them after the fact
> isn't a very straightforward statement of opinion in any
> case--more like flim-flammery designed to cloak a polemic in
> whatever authority science's achievements carry.

Got a better model to present?

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.