[linux-elitists] git and a sysadmin book

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Wed Jan 14 02:10:28 PST 2009

Rick Moen:

What Karsten M. Self wrote on the topic of entropy:
> "Complexity is the enemy" is one of my buzzwords.  Another is "Large,
> low-entropy pools are inherently dangerous".  They're the same side of
> the same coin, and investigating the second in depth leads to some
> provocative discussions.
>
> What's a "low-entropy pool"?  Anything with potential.  Jerry-cans of
> gasoline, 110 story skyscrapers (or two sited next to one-another),
> CCC centers (command, control, & communications), server farms, active
> earthquake faults, fanatical fundamentalist religio-political
> ideologies, spaghetti code, ...

I don't know, Rick, but it seems like Karsten was himself (perhaps
somewhat poetically) commingling the two meanings of "entropy".

--
"Some of us figured out in the 1950s                     Nick Moffitt
that blacklists were a bad idea.                        nick@zork.net