[linux-elitists] thermodynamics, and some other ranting Re: git and a sysadmin book

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 13 22:56:54 PST 2009

Quoting Bob Bernstein (rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us):

> This (and the rest of your post) appears to be needlessly pissy.
> Is there a "backstory" here, or are you just feeling um pissy?

My brief serious point seems to have been misplaced.  Rephrasing:

Karsten Self did not, in fact, signal intent to use the formal sense of
"entropy" from _physics_ in his useful rule of thumb, nor intent to use
the rival (and differing) sense of "entropy" from _information theory_
-- nor, come to think of it, a desire to be painfully literal at all.

The other gentleman, though, seemingly became so pleased over his chance
to impress us with an ability to trot out -- multiple times -- the
physics definition we all studied in high school, that he forgot its
being irrelevant in context.  But then, the whole contextual meaning
thing often becomes difficult to grasp, when it stands in the way of
pointlessly showing off.

> But you're not a physicist....

Nor is the discussion about me, current effort notwithstanding.