[linux-elitists] thermodynamics, and some other ranting Re: git and a sysadmin book

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 13 10:43:01 PST 2009

Quoting D. Joe Anderson (deejoe@etrumeus.com):

> The lowest entropy pool is the theoretical perfectly-ordered
> crystalline lattice at zero degrees Kelvin spoken of by the
> Third Law of thermodynamics.  There's no potential absent a
> complementary pool of high entropy.  Source and sink are
> integral to the analysis, so pinning this on the low-entropy
> side of things is non-sensical.

Oh, please, do also set us straight on the correct interrelationship
between Clausius's conception of entropy for physics and Shannon's for
information theory.  Because we'll be so, so much very better off, for
your having settled that debate.

Of course, you could tell us that only the physics definition could
possibly matter, in which case we can have a really fine round of jokes
about computerists' characteristic inability to grasp the concept of
contextual meaning.

Or maybe, given this thread as a whole, we should just proceed directly
to the joke portion of our narrative -- if we aren't in fact already
there.

--
Cheers,              Crypto lets someone say "Hi! I absolutely definitely have
Rick Moen            a name somewhat like the name of a large familiar