[linux-elitists] git and a sysadmin book

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 12 12:58:55 PST 2009

on Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:23:15AM -0600, Jeremy Hankins (nowan@nowan.org) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <karsten@linuxmafia.com> writes:
>
> > "Complexity is the enemy" is one of my buzzwords.  Another is "Large,
> > low-entropy pools are inherently dangerous".  They're the same side of
> > the same coin, and investigating the second in depth leads to some
> > provocative discussions.
> >
> > What's a "low-entropy pool"?  Anything with potential.  Jerry-cans of
> > gasoline, 110 story skyscrapers (or two sited next to one-another), CCC
> > centers (command, control, & communications), server farms, active
> > earthquake faults, fanatical fundamentalist religio-political
> > ideologies, spaghetti code, ...
>
> A nit: I don't think you're using the word entropy properly; you seem to
> want to refer to high potential energy rather than low entropy.

High potential energy *is* low entropy.  Entropy is a measure of the
randomness, or unordered state, of a system.  A low-entropic system is
then:  non-random, highly-ordered, with high potential.

> Perhaps the notion is that something with high potential energy can be
> identified by the fact that it depends on low entropy for its
> preservation (i.e., introduce a bit of entropy to your gasoline and no
> more gasoline).  But a large stationary block of ice is quite low
> entropy as well.

Not if it's embedded within a larger block of ice.

Now a system comprising of a large block of ice next to a body at a much
higher temperature, is a low-entropic system, as a net.  The temperature
gradient, however, is the source of the potential, not the ice itself,
and the energy to be obtained is extracted from the higher-temperature
body.  The ice itself is a sink.

> Low entropy is, all else being equal, desirable.

Low entropy is, all else being equal, a source of potentially useful
potential.  Also potentially harmful.  The useful/harmful dichotomy
depends very much on how the potential is managed and regulated.

> But you are quite correct to point out that a system that can survive
> high entropy conditions is even more desirable, and you're more likely
> to find such systems in conditions of high entropy.

Um, sorry, that's not entirely clear, typo?  Is the last phrase supposed
to be "high entropy" or "low entropy"?

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.