[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 27 11:35:04 PST 2009

Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> Does everyone forget that Tivo went and _asked_ the FSF if what they
> were doing was acceptable before they did it?  And the FSF said, "yes
> it is, thanks for asking"?
>
> Then a few years later turn around and try to turn the company name
> into an adjective to describe something "bad and evil"?
>
> Anyone see the problem here that makes companies think many times
> before wanting to use GPL licensed code in the future?

I notice you fulminated about this all over the kernelnewbies mailing
list, a bit over two years ago.  You wish to do so here, too?

The answer to every one of your questions, of course, is "Mu" -- or,
perhaps, "If so, so what?":  FSF editorialising, of whatever vintage,
is, in fact, a legal NOOP.  Actual licence compliance, or lack thereof,
is strictly a matter between consenting coder / licensors and recipient
/ licensee companies and their presiding judges, as guided by copyright
(and sometimes contract) law.

Coders who issue code under GPLv2 implicitly permit TiVo-type
derivatives and redistribution.  Those who use GPLv3 implicitly disallow
it.  FSF's views, and consideration of who is "bad and evil" or who was
"asked" have absolutely no bearing on the subject.

Redistributors/modifiers who don't like those permission terms are, of
course, free to code whatever they prefer.

> Anyway, back to the Android topic....

Indeed.  How ready _is_ the port to FreeRunner Neo?  I might want to
load it, in place of my OpenMoko build.