[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Feb 27 10:58:39 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:20:34PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 03:44:35AM +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > > Five years from now, Android will equate to "Google" for many, if not most.
> >
> > Five years from now, Android might be only available on tivoised devices.

And this is a problem for what?

Does everyone forget that Tivo went and _asked_ the FSF if what they
were doing was acceptable before they did it?  And the FSF said, "yes it
is, thanks for asking"?

Then a few years later turn around and try to turn the company name into
an adjective to describe something "bad and evil"?

Anyone see the problem here that makes companies think many times before
wanting to use GPL licensed code in the future?

Anyway, back to the Android topic, Android is built to solve a specific
problem that the phone vendors have been asking for for years, to allow
a "write once, run many" platform that will work on many different
hardware configurations and have no unit licensing costs.

Android uses the Linux kernel as a hardware-abstraction-layer, and then
puts all of their software on top, providing a "free java" layer that
people can write code to.

It has nothing to do with the ability for endusers to get to the "raw"
platform to run code on, no more so than the other phones that have been
shipping with Linux for the past 5 or so years.

> There is obviously a problem with the radio side which is hard to make free
> and open source, but what stops anyone from building a phone today and
> putting the open source android bits on it?
> For that matter, were you trying to say that efforts like debian on G1s or
> jesusfreak's custom android derived images will not be possible in 5 years?

I think this is always going to be possible, it takes a lot of effort
and engineering to prevent this from happening, work that companies have
less and less of these days :(

thanks,

greg k-h