[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Feb 27 08:45:03 PST 2009

begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 07:57:01PM -0800:
> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org):
>
> > MSFT might have been going after a deal to do
> > something similar.
>
> Incidentally, I remember having a good, long belly-laugh over the
> engineering behind Win95 long-filename support, back when it was _new_:
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Legacy_Microsoft/win95-bn.html#vfat

On a lot of devices, you could get around the need
for long FAT filenames by just implementing the
original FAT, ignoring the pasted-on long filenames
layer and using some meta-info from the actual file,
such as a thumbnail, title tag, or ID3 tag.

If you made your UI designers do that you might
actually get a less frustrating experience on a
small device.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti@zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco