[linux-elitists] FAT is the new GIF?

Dave Crossland dave@lab6.com
Fri Feb 27 04:58:24 PST 2009

2009/2/27 Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org>:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 03:44:35AM +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
>> > Five years from now, Android will equate to "Google" for many, if not most.
>>
>> Five years from now, Android might be only available on tivoised devices.
>
> Out of curiosity, what makes you say that?
>
> There is obviously a problem with the radio side which is hard to make free
> and open source,

Hasn't OpenMoko shown how that can be handled in a way that respects
freedom (separate ROM System-ona-Chip for radio computation, directed
via protocol) and
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html suggests that
freedom can even be promoted, not just respected (free software for
radio computation done on main system)

> but what stops anyone from building a phone today and
> putting the open source android bits on it?

Today, nothing: I did it with my OpenMoko Freerunner, Nokia N810.
Tomorrow, well...

> For that matter, were you trying to say that efforts like debian on G1s or
> jesusfreak's custom android derived images will not be possible in 5 years?

...the first Android handset was Tivoized, and with apparent Big-G
motivation, so (as Carl vT says) this is part of the wider move to
Paladium computing where computers become more like 1990s mobile
phones rather than the opposite.

"It’s certainly sad that for now the iPhone pwnage exploits really do
give you root on your device, while Android’s official SDK offer no
such thing — making the Apple’s theoretically closed phone more
practically open than Google’s theoretically open game-changer."
- http://www.oblomovka.com/wp/2008/10/23/the-t-mobile-g1-nice-phone-not-so-open/

 'Google may discover a product that violates the developer
distribution agreement... in such an instance, Google retains the
right to remotely remove those applications from your device at its
sole discretion.'
 - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/16/android_kill_switch/

--
Regards,