[linux-elitists] Module checklist for build-your-own kernels?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Dec 5 09:24:26 PST 2009

begin Don Marti quotation of Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 03:55:33PM -0700:
> begin Greg KH quotation of Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:08:54AM -0700:
> > On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:44:23AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > >
> > > Every so often, though, I realize I'm missing a
> > > module and I have to go back and build something.
> > > Does anyone have a script that will take the list
> > > of currently inserted modules, compare to a .config,
> > > and warn if that .config won't build a module that's
> > > actually in use on the system?
> >
> > I don't have quite that kind of script, but I do have a script that
> > takes an existing running kernel, looks at the modules, and sets the
> > proper config options up for it.  That's good when booting with a distro
> > kernel, and wanting to generate a config that doesn't include everything
> > and the kitchen sink which takes forever to build on most systems.
>
> Close enough, and works for me.  Just have to copy
> over a distro .config, make oldconfig, rebuild and
> boot, first, to get the version to match.  (Yes, and
> manually add back in the hardware I was too lazy to
> dig out the wall wart for.)

$ ketchup -r 2.6.32 && make localmodconfig

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32#head-11f54cdac41ad6150ef817fd68597554d9d05a5f

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=dcc60243e726978576cb02b74c84440629c69c87

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=03fa25da8335a942161a8070b3298cfd4edf9b6a

(Hey, did you know you could just paste a git commit
ID into Google and it would Do The Right Thing?)

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org